14 July 2020

Lau On Tour Day 4: Route 66

Part 4 of my new series, Lau On Tour. Catch up with yesterday's destination and find out what the series is all about before you join me in today's destination, Route 66.


Image: Jean-Philippe Delberghe


The itinerary


America's most famous road - and also one that technically doesn't exist anymore - Route 66 is (was) almost 4000km long, travelling through eight states and three time zones, so a bit of suspension of reality is required to cover it all in one day. Its very mention conjures up images of rusting Chevvys and Cadillacs weaving through deserted wasteland, alongside roadside motels with neon signs.

Here, in what I *think* is geographical order (you try tracking a non-existent road across a continent...) are some of the tourist highlights of Route 66, where I'd love to stop if I ever drive the route for real. Unfortunately, they're more remote and lesser-known than some of the attractions I've visited in my previous destinations, so don't have virtual tours available for the online visitor. Imagination required.



First up is the wordily-named Route 66 Association of Illinois Hall of Fame and Museum. Its aim is to preserve aspects of the 'Mother Road' for future generations.

Moving from Illinois to Missouri, the Meramec Caverns are a series of underground caves and mineral formations. A zipline and river boat tours completes the full tourist experience. In the same state, the 66 Drive In is your typical American drive-in movie theater, with classics such as Jaws and Jurassic Park on the bill.

Popcorn finished, the next stop on Route 66 is the Blue Whale of Catoosa, a huge model of a whale in the middle of Oklahoma. Atlas Obscura has some great photos and a history of the giant mammal, which was built as a wedding anniversary present in the 1970s.


Image: Matan Levanon/Unsplash


Another state, another museum dedicated to Route 66. Expect the full 1950s experience at the Oklahoma Route 66 Museum, complete with classics cars, route signage, and a fully-functioning diner. Another one for my must-visit list.

Continuing on into Texas, Cadillac Ranch sits just outside Amarillo (no singing required, thanks). Ten Cadillac cars are buried nose-first in the ground, with visitors encouraged to add their own graffiti to the art installation.


Image: Vincentas Liskauskas/Unsplash

I'm getting peckish now, so my final stop on Route 66, as we approach its western end in Santa Monica, is Peggy Sue's Diner. The 1950s style restaurant is designed to look like a giant jukebox from the outside, and serves traditional diner food, along with a gift shop.

If after all that, you've still got a hankering to see some of Route 66 from home, check out these videos of the road at various times over the years.

Where I'm staying


Photo: Wigwam Motel


Route 66 isn't short of roadside motels and RV parks, though alas the iconic Roy's Motel is no longer open for business. My penchant for the quirky has won me over again, as I'm checking into the Wigwam Motel in Arizona. Fifteen individual rooms, designed to look like traditional wigwams, are set out like an Indian village, with a small museum on site.

In pop culture




So many great American road trip films are inspired by Route 66, even if they're not set or filmed there - Little Miss Sunshine, Thelma and Louise, Cars to name a few. But for today's entertainment, I've decided to widen the criteria slightly and go for a film representing the Great American Road Trip, even though it's not set on Route 66. The Leisure Seeker has it all - ageing Winnebago, burger and milkshake pitstop at a roadside diner, mention of various literary landmarks along the route. And it's moving too, charting the final holiday of an elderly couple suffering from various ailments. Well worth a watch.

On the menu



For me, I think 'Route 66' (or any American road trip) and I think of diners. Retro, roadside airstream diners serving burgers and chips in plastic baskets, washed down with endless coffee (or milkshake or soda for the caffeine swervers). See Peggy Sue's above, and Lou Mitchell's in Chicago. Basically, my dream dining situation, and while I toyed with the idea of wings and hot dogs and the like, I settled on the simple combination of a burger topped with a stack of onion rings, and served with fries. I even stuck a wooden skewer in to hold the onion rings, for the full restaurant feel. And no, there's no salad, because who goes to a diner for salad? Road trips are made for junk food. All that's missing is the neon sign. Which brings me nicely on to...

Souvenir shopping




Well, it's got to be a neon sign, hasn't it? I have quite a thing about neon signs, so why not start my future collection with a red and blue Route 66 icon?

No comments:

Post a Comment