10 July 2020

Introducing: Lau On Tour


*Scroll to the bottom of this page to catch up with the series so far*


So here's the thing. I'm still on furlough from my day job, but I've got to take 13.5 days of annual leave in July. Annual leave means nothing when every day is a day off work, and travel isn't an option right now for obvious reasons. But I can't bear the thought of letting any of my precious annual leave days go to waste in a blur of film-binging and biscuit-scoffing, so I've come up with a plan.

Introducing Lau On Tour, my no-passport-required, virtual summer holiday.



Every day for those 13.5 annual leave days, I'm going to pick a different destination, and travel there, without leaving my house. I'll spend the day indulging in the food, sights and culture of that city or country, and blogging as I go. I'll dine on a dish from that destination, watch a film or TV show or read a book set there (cut me some slack with this one - I've got to work with films and books that I already have, or which can be easily accessed online), and purchase an imaginary souvenir. I'll even pick my dream hotel in each destination, somewhere budgets would normally prevent me from staying.

Some will be places I've been to before, while others are on my bucket list. Others still are places that I'm unlikely to ever visit in real life, as they're just not that high on my list of priorities - so I'm taking the opportunity to give them some virtual love.



Every evening for the next fortnight, I'll be blogging about the day's adventures here, as well as over on Instagram. There's no geographical or chronological order to my trip - such is the beauty of a virtual world without time zones - and I'll be spanning various cities, criss-crossing countries and continents. I won't be revealing my destinations in advance (I don't want you lot all following me and crowding the tourist hotspots...) so check back each day to see where I've been and what I've been up to.



It's just a bit of fun, to combine my passions of blogging, travel, cooking, reading and watching films while my mind would otherwise be idle. I'm not taking it too seriously, so I ask you not to either. I'll be taking geographical and logistical liberties as I go, zigzagging across whole states or countries in a day in order to pack in as much as possible from the comfort of my own sofa.  My entertainment choices may not be the most high-brow, and my culinary explorations may not be the most adventurous, but it beats watching yet another re-run of Friends.

Want to join me on the journey? Follow me on Instagram, Twitter and Bloglovin, and check back here every day for my latest destination. Here's where  I've been so far:

The series is now on a short break, but will return from Thursday 23 July with five more destinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment