24 July 2020

Lau On Tour Day 11: Lisbon

Part 11 of my new series, Lau On Tour. Catch up with my previous destination and find out what the series is all about before you join me in today's destination, Lisbon.


Image: Robenson Gassant/Unsplash


The itinerary


I'll be honest, I don't really know much about the sights of Lisbon - it strikes me as somewhere you go to wander aimlessly for a couple of days, rather than ticking off a tourist bucket list.  I've started my virtual tour at Amoreiras, a 360 degree viewpoint tower above a shopping centre. The online version has the main attractions pinpointed, so you can get your bearings before you head back down into the streets below.



One thing I do know Lisbon has in abundance is its funicular trams, one of which can be ridden virtually via video. It surprised me how closely people, bikes and trams mingle on the Lisbon streets, with trams gliding past just inches from people's doorways and shopfronts.

Where I'm staying




I haven't managed to find any truly quirky or unusual hotels in Lisbon, so instead I'm opting for a night of luxury at the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa - not least because of that gorgeous outdoor fitness pool.

In pop culture




My mind went blank when I tried to think of films, TV shows or books set in Lisbon, but thankfully Netflix came to my rescue, serving up an episode of food/travel documentary Somebody Feed Phil.

The Larry David-esque Christopher Eccleston lookalike bumbles his way around the city, indulging in countless custard tarts, flirting with danger at a (very) waterside restaurant, and befriending a local pizzeria owner. There are some beautiful shots of Lisbon's coloured architecture too.

On the menu




Hands up - I'm disappointed by the results of this baking effort. I made the traditional Portuguese pasteis de nata, or custard tarts, but it was one of those cases where reality didn't live up to expectation. I'll stick to Santa Nata in London, until I can make it to Lisbon for the real deal.


Souvenir shopping


One thing I learned from watching Somebody Feed Phil is how colourful Lisbon is, not just due to pastel-hued buildings, but also thanks to the patterned tiles that adorn walls and floors. Yep, I'll take a few of them to make my own home a bit more colourful, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment