25 July 2020

Lau On Tour Day 12: Chicago

Part 12 of my new series, Lau On Tour. Catch up with my previous destination and find out what the series is all about before you join me in today's destination, Chicago


Image: Pedro Lastra/Unsplash

The itinerary

Considering it's in my top five places-I-want-to-visit, I'm ashamed to admit I didn't actually know much about Chicago. Beyond Lake Michigan itself, the only landmark I could name was Wrigley Field, so this little virtual trip has been a great way to learn more about the Windy City.

With my head for heights, I was drawn to the 110-floor Willis Tower, and the virtual tour of the Skydeck, the highest observation floor in the USA. With views up to 50 miles, it's a great way to get an idea of the geography of Chicago before continuing to explore the city.

Next it's on to the Garfield Park Conservatory, a botanical conservatory which offers digital tours, including the colourful golden hour safari. Sticking with nature, Shedd Aquarium has a live webcam to one of its tanks, and it's extremely relaxing to watch.

Where I'm staying


Image: FieldHouse Jones


Sticking with the sport theme which started with Wrigley Field, I've chosen FieldHouse Jones as my Chicago hotel. The hip hotel commits to its theme, with dartboards in the bedrooms, tennis racquets strung from the ceiling, and basketball backboards lining the walls of the lobby. It's another one I'd love to visit in real life one day.

In pop culture



I'm surprised you even have to ask - for Chicago, it's got to be Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Though much of the 1986 film is set in the Chicago suburbs, it does venture into the city - via a priceless Ferrari - passing several landmarks including Wrigley Field, above.

On the menu




For me, Chicago cuisine means one thing - deep dish pizza. It's notoriously difficult to come by here in the UK - trust me, I've been in a room with some of the best London brains, and none of us could think of anywhere in the capital that serves it, and if London doesn't, Kent has no chance. So you'll excuse me if I cheated a little for this one (note: not an ad, despite the box placement in the photo above - though if Chicago Town want to send me a year's supply in thanks, who am I to turn them down...)

Souvenir shopping


I've drawn a blank with products which are unique to Chicago, so I'll use this stop on my tour to stock up on what some might refer to as 'tourist tat'. Perhaps a snow globe with the Chicago skyline?

No comments:

Post a Comment