18 January 2017

A first look at Canary Wharf Winter Lights Festival 2017

Oooh, pretty colours. Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I'm a sucker for a good light festival. London's latest offering is Canary Wharf Winter Lights. 30 light installations have been dotted around among the skyscrapers -- and they're free to visit.


Put yourself in the wings and halo, and have a picture taken of your most angelic side:


This egg appears to be floating on water. There's a floating pathway through the middle of it, and every so often, smoke appears. Mystical.


The glow in the dark benches which featured in Lumiere London last year are back -- and they're now a permanent feature in Canary Wharf:


Head downstairs in Crossrail Place for the indoor exhibits (and to warm up):



Look familiar? This installation was commissioned by the Natural History Museum for the Colour and Vision exhibition. Now the exhibition's over, it's been passed on: recycling at its finest.

Westferry Circus is home to one of the most hypnotising, calming things I've ever seen. Hundreds of spherical lightbulbs perched on sticks, twinkling and changing colour in time to the music, gradually speeding up and slowing down. Mesmerising:


One for fans of all things colourful:


As much as I'd like to say I spent my evening watching Trump dissolve, this was one of many words that rained from the sky. The letters are created from water droplets and cleverly illuminated -- it really is a work of art. I freaked out a bit when my surname appeared, until I realised that the words being generated were from current news trends, and this had happened.


Intrigued? Check out this video for more.

Canary Wharf Winter Lights Festival is on daily, 4pm-9pm, until Friday 27 January.

Scribbling Lau is now on Facebook. You can also follow me on Twitter and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment