1 July 2012

My Yankophilia* continues....

If you've had a meander through my blog, you may have noticed that I am a fan of American food imports. This is not something I was aware of myself, save a penchant for Lucky Charms, until I started blogging. I became inspired by other blogs, such as the wonderful Gobble Monkey which has kept me entertanined for hours on end. It started with cereals, which, admittedly, the Americans do well (provided you don't mind sugar rot in your teeth come lunchtime.) Then, I rather impulsively tried the highly coveted Pop Tart resulting in disappointment and curiosity. More recently, I forayed further into the world of American confectionery, in the form of Hershey's Kisses. What a mistake to make.



As far as I can recall, I have never tried Hershey's chocolate before, but I've heard that it's not the nicest chocolate in the world. So when  I saw these in Selfridges in Manchester, I couldn't resist trying them to see whether the rumours are true.


They are.

The first disappointment was opening the pack to find a rather stingy six "kisses" at the bottom. Going on to eat them, things didn't improve- the chocolate was very sweet and sickly, similar to the cheaper brands of chocolate you get here in the UK. Suddenly I was understanding why there were only six sweets in the pack - anymore and you would have been sick. They lacked that moreishness that all true chocoholics can identify in a decently made piece of chocolate. For possibly the first time ever, I was eating chocolate and thinking "No more, no more".

I did, however, enjoy the texture of the cookie pieces embedded within the chocolate. I think I'll stick to Galaxy Cookie Crumble next time though.




Having reached the bottom of the packet, I was left mystified by one thing; why are they called "Kisses". They are not the shape of a kiss, nor the texture, nor the taste. Answers on a postcard please.

The Americans may do a fabulous job at cereals and hamburgers, but they should certainly leave chocolate to their European counterparts.

*Apologies if this term offends any Americans. Blame this.

No comments:

Post a Comment