12 January 2012

This little place I know (and you should too...)

I made a fabulous discovery yesterday. It's a brand spanking new cupcake shop in the centre of York called  Sooty's Cupcakery. Ok, if I'm being honest, it wasn't a spontaneous discovery, I was going there with the purpose of reviewing it. But boy am I glad I did.

I know what you're thinking. It's just another one of those overpriced cupcake places that are taking over the world, giving yummy-mummies a place to yibber-yabber and spend their husband's hard earned money. WELL YOU'RE WRONG!


Take it from a self-titled cupcake connoisseur- I used to work in a cake shop, I've spent hours perfecting cupcake recipes, I spent the eve of my 18th birthday making and decorating 100 cupcakes-Sooty's is the bees knees, the cat's whiskers, the dog's toenails, in cupcakes (although you'll be pleased to hear that I found none of the above in my cake).

 I've been to the famous Hummingbird Bakery in Spitalfields, London, and even reviewed that one for Itchy City. I can honestly say, hand on heart, that my visit to the Hummingbird Bakery didn't even come close to my visit to Sooty's.* The service at Hummingbird was impersonal, the hot chocolate below average, and even the cupcakes, the holy grail for which I had made my journey, were nothing special.

Sooty's, on the other hand, was a dream come true. They had a wide range of flavours and toppings, and the cupcakes were only £1.49 each, and very reasonably sized-quite the opposite of the majority of similar businesses. Not only were the cupcakes cheap, they were perfectly decorated and, most importantly DELICIOUS. The cake was moist and light, not stodgy like some cakes, and the vanilla fondant was the most flavoursome I have ever had, without being overpowering. The accompanying hot chocolate was equally enjoyable, and cheaper than any chain cafe.  The staff were uber-friendly, and they had a wider range of choices than were available at Hummingbird.





I am therefore taking this opportunity to demand that all residents and students of York go to Sooty's at least once-although I can guarantee that you will want to go back. It is my understanding that different cakes are available everyday, so all the more reason to go back and sample them all. Sooty's also do cupcakes and occasion cakes to order, and you can mix and match base flavour and fondant flavour-it's like being in Willy Wonka's factory, but real!

Weekly visits to Sooty's are now inked into my diary. I'm only gutted that it arrived when I only have 6 months left in York.**


*I'm honestly not being paid to say this

** I'm actually also gutted that Sooty's has taken over the retail unit where a craft shop I liked once stood. But cupcakes will make that pain go away.




4 comments:

  1. This made my mouth water so much! There's nothing like this where I live at all; it sounds so yummy and amazing! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. OoOoOoh need to find this place! I hate how cup cakes are so overpriced and overhyped, but they're darn delicious and I have such a soft spot for them. £1.49 is very reasonable too. Looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I not know about this after living there for three years??
    I've just found you on wannabe hacks which linked your blog. I too went to York, did your course and was style editor of The Yorker! Oh, and I'm an aspiring journo too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only opened in December Helen. Sounds like you're me, but a few years ahead!

      Delete