11 July 2011

The day I joined the rat race (something else which disagrees with me)

There are very few jobs in which you can spend half an hour of your shift watching penguins and seagulls thrashing it out for the meal of fish being thrown to them, but fortunately for me,  I have one of these jobs.

Today was my induction day as a seasonal sales assistant at ZSL London Zoo. Having read the full information pack for new employees, containing information on what to do in case of fire, dangerous animal escape, bomb, or terrorist threat, I was beginning to wonder what I had let myself in for, never more so than when I paid the obligatory £18.75 train fare at 7.05 this morning. (more on that interesting journey later...)
All I knew was that I was to turn up at 9am wearing black trousers and black shoes. The rest was a mystery. I was just praying that I wouldn't be put on duty in the reptile house. Nothing gives me the creeps like the yellowing eyes of a hungry python.

After a brief introduction we were taken to get our uniforms. My usual work uniform consists of a forest green coloured polo shirt, black trousers and black shoes. I like a bit of variety in my life. Compare and contrast;

 Current work uniform, to be worn with black trousers and black shoes (company logo erased)
New work uniform, to be worn with black trousers and black shoes.

No variety for me then.

We also got a brief rundown of the interesting questions that staff have been asked before, including, in all seriousness, "Which way to the dinosaur enclosure?" Oh dear.

All in all a good day, all  the staff seem really friendly, and it was rounded off by watching the penguin show. I just find myself somewhat confused with so much new stuff to learn. And I confuse easy.

On another note, I have also come to the conclusion that I am allergic to commuting. I passed out. On the train. Twice. Each time waking up on the floor of an overpacked carriage to find 6 suited and booted city commuters peering down at me as I came round. Once was bad enough, but twice is just embarrassing.

Never a dull moment with me around.

No comments:

Post a Comment