15 July 2020

Lau On Tour Day 5: Scotland

Part 5 of my new series, Lau On Tour. Catch up with yesterday's destination and find out what the series is all about before you join me in today's destination, Scotland.


Image: Peter Cordes/Unsplash


The itinerary

I'm starting my Scotland tour in its capital city, Edinburgh, and at Edinburgh's most overbearing landmark, Edinburgh Castle. So huge is the clifftop fort, that I barely managed to see it all in a day when I visited in person in 2018. This time, I'm taking a whistle-stop virtual tour via a 3D model.

Just spitting distance from the castle, and an unexpected highlight from my previous trip is the Camera Obscura, a Victorian contraption which offers views over the capital, set at the top of a building containing all manner of tricks and puzzles. Alas, the attractions themselves don't seem to be available to view online, but I enjoyed exploring the 360 degree view of the city (if it inspires you to climb Arthur's Seat, read this first). 

My final stop in the capital is Edinburgh Zoo, on the outskirts of the city. It's most famous for its resident pandas, which were the original reason for my visit to Edinburgh in 2018. These days though, they can be seen online via Panda Cam, though patience is key. The Zoo, like many, is struggling to survive financially at the moment, so if you enjoy Panda Cam, consider making a donation.


Image: Stuart Yeates
I'm finishing my Scottish tour at another of its key tourist attractions, Balmoral Castle, over 100 miles away from its Edinburgh counterpart. I was hoping for a virtual tour of the Royal residence, but I hadn't bargained on Squirrel Cam, which offers a chance to see the rare native red squirrels. Alternatively, take a spring walk through the gardens, but that's as far as you're getting - you'll have to go to Balmoral in person to ogle the famous Castle Ballroom, with artworks by the likes of Landseer.

Where I'm staying


Image: The Witchery


While I was impressed with the Edinburgh hotel where I stayed in 2018, that choice was constricted by budget. This time round, my (imaginary) budget is unlimited so you'll find me at The Witchery by The Castle, specifically in the Turret Suite, as I've always had a thing about turrets. The Highland hideout-style decor, huge rolltop baths and four poster beds appear to be the height of luxury - much needed after a day or two climbing Edinburgh's many, many hills and steps.

In pop culture




2013 musical film Sunshine on Leith is set in the Edinburgh district of the same name, and uses music by Scottish band The Proclaimers. I first saw it at a rooftop cinema in London around the time of its release, but although I remember enjoying it, the intricate details of the plotline were hazy until this rewatch. The actors are very much that - actors, rather than singers - and if you're not a fan of spontaneous singing or dancing it won't be for you, but it gives me a renewed fondness for the music of The Proclaimers. Oh, and also for the dreamy views of Edinburgh Castle from the bar at the DoubleTree by Hilton.

On the menu



If you were coming here for haggis, you can pass right on by. The Scottish section of my culinary heart sits firmly with shortbread, thanks to my sweet tooth and preference for easy to bake dishes. It's not my first time making shortbread, but it makes an excellent film snack.

Souvenir shopping


I'm not one for whisky, and we've already covered shortbread, so my souvenir shopping is focusing on fashion rather than food. How about a nice tartan scarf, to wrap up against the Scottish weather for when I return in real life and claim my rightful place in that Turret Suite.

No comments:

Post a Comment