16 July 2020

Lau On Tour Day 6: Australia

Part 6 of my new series, Lau On Tour. Catch up with yesterday's destination and find out what the series is all about before you join me in today's destination, Australia.


Image: Keith Zhu/Unsplash


The itinerary

Australia is somewhere that's not on my real life travel bucket list - I have nothing against it, but it's so far away, there are plenty of other places closer to home that I'd like to visit first, before committing to that lengthy flight. Thankfully, the Australian tourist board offers virtual tours of plenty of the country's cultural experiences, including Dinosaur Walk at the Melbourne Museum, and the art collection at the National Gallery of Victoria. No plane ticket required.



For me, one of the most iconic Australian sights is Sydney Harbour Bridge, and the Sydney Opera House. If I do ever make it to Australia in person, I'd love to climb the Harbour Bridge, but in the meantime I'll make do with this 3D tour of the area by Qantas, and this 3D rendering of the Opera House. If you're more about the culture than the architecture, a programme of digital performances is available to watch at home, including the Australian Ballet performing Swan Lake.

Image: Australia Zoo


Teleporting several hours north to Brisbane, I'm dropping in on Steve Irwin's famous Australia Zoo, with a video tour given by his son, Robert. He's clearly inherited his father's enthusiasm and love for animals, and it's a great introduction to Australian wildlife, including wombats and wallabies - and the excellently named Crikey Cafe.

Finally, a couple of days (!) drive away in almost the centre of the country, is another of Australia's most famous sights, Uluru. But before we get there, can we take a moment to appreciate just how vast Australia is, and just how remote some parts of it are. My curiousity for maps had me Googling a route between Australia Zoo and Uluru, and it's a 35 hour drive.  Not only that, it's a very round-about route, going down to the coast at Adelaide and back up, instead of cross country, presumably because there are no roads travelling across that route. It amounts to a diversion approximately the length of the entire UK. Mindboggling.



Anyway, back to Uluru, my final stop on this Aussie tour, just in time for sunset. Parks Australia offers several online Story Spheres, complete with 3D footage and voiceovers and sound effects. Best of all, it goes into the Aboriginal history and folklore of the area, with stories told by Aboriginal people and Anangu traditional owners, and translated into English. I found it absolutely fascinating, not only to hear about the culture, but to get an idea of the size and scale of Uluru, and learn that it's not just a flat rock, but has caves and water features within. The best virtual tour I've found on this trip so far.

Photo: Danny Lau/Unsplash

If you fancy a quieter Uluru stroll without the commentary, Uluru Tours Australia has one embedded on its website.

Where I'm staying


Image: Taronga Zoo


From rainforest retreats to beach island huts to railway carriages, Australia isn't short of quirky accommodation options. After some serious window shopping, I've settled on the Roar and Snore accommodation at Taronga Zoo in Sydney. The safari-style accommodation offers views over Sydney Harbour, and a night safari through the zoo.

In pop culture




"It's not just cricket and kangaroo" says Simon Reeve in the opening series of his BBC series, Australia with Simon Reeve, and by the end of the first episode, which features hundreds of thousands of wild camels, gold mines and cross country sleeper trains, I completely agree. It's exactly the sort of travel documentary I enjoy, and I'll be watching the rest of the series over the next few days.

On the menu


It's not the most photogenic of dishes


If you've ever heard of a parmo, chances are you've had dabblings in either north-east England, or Australia. They vary slightly, and I tried the Middlesborough version back in 2014, but today I made the Australian version - breaded chicken, topped with tomato pasta sauce (the English version sticks to Bechamel, I'm reliably informed), mozzarella and a slice of ham or bacon, and baked in the oven. Apparently it's typical Aussie pub grub, and I'd certainly try it again, though for me it's more of a winter warmer than something to chow down on in the boiling Aussie summer.

Souvenir shopping


Other than a cuddly toy kangaroo or a koala keyring, the most Australian object I can think of is a boomerang, and even in researching this, I've learned more about Aboriginal history. Aboriginal Australians used a non-returning variety of boomerang for hunting, though I'll probably just stick to the iconic L-shaped one for my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment