28 July 2011

Apples and pears

Stairs are a bit of a mystery to me. I mean, I know how they work, obviously (although catch me on a bad day and you might not believe this). But until now I have lived my entire life on the ground floor, so have had no real need for interaction with stairs on a day to day basis. I grew up in a bungalow, and the first two rooms I have lived in at university have both been on the ground floor. Now however, I have moved  into a new house where my room is not on the ground floor. It's not even on the first floor, but the second floor. Mindblowing.

Getting over the stairs thing, the other thing that worries me slightly about living on the second floor is the lack of solid ground below me. Being on the ground floor significantly lowers the risk of falling through the floor, but with two floors of nothingness beneath me, I worry that the floor will give way and one day I'll wake up in the kitchen sink, 15ft below where I went to sleep. Irrational I know, but it's the little things in life.

It's no wonder that when I do encounter stairs, I struggle more than the average person; couple my lack of practice with the extreme dislike gravity took to me on the day I was born (or extreme attraction, if you will) and you will see that I never had a chance. I have a feeling I may become well acquainted with the sofa this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment