14 December 2012

Disney @ Harrods for Christmas 2012

Anyone who knows me, or more specifically, knows my inner child, will understand just how excited I got when I found out that Harrods were opening a Disney Princess pop-up shop for the Christmas period.

After my experiences at the Harry Potter pop-up store which appeared in Harrods last year, I didn't have high expectations. Although the set-up was good, creating a realistic Diagon Alley, the prices were high, clearly aimed at collectors rather than children.

However, I'm pleased to report that Harrods got it spot on with their Disney venture, aiming it predominantly at children, as Disney should be (there's still the odd treat for all the kidults out there as well- cushions, homewares, soft furnishings...).

However, I was left feeling like a child with a slapped wrist for not doing my homework research properly; a quick glance around on arrival revealed not only a Disney Princess area but also Toy Story, Cars, and classic Minnie and Mickey merchandise. In short, a Disney fans' dream.


The Disney Princess theme was most prevalent; the entire set-up revolves around the central Princess castle, a structure which doubles up as a shoe parlour, allowing young princesses to shop in privacy. Naturally, glitter and pink rule in this vicinity.

Each of the themed areas is cleverly designed and self contained- the Toy Story area, for example, is designed to resemble Andy's bedroom, complete with larger than life Woody statue.

Rumour has it that there is also a Disney Cafe at Harrods too. Unfortunately I didn't have time to visit on this occasion, but hopefully soon!

Harrods, I think there is a lesson to be learned here; Disney trumps Harry Potter every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment